Wednesday, September 05, 2007

absurd

I suck at crossing streets. whenever i see a car or a bus speeding towards me i shut my eyes and stand rooted to the spot...which is just about the surest way to commit suicide. yesterday while stranded at the rashbehari crossing opposite Jugals it suddenly occurred to me that whenever i get out of my house i place my life in other people's hands. we all do. think about it. we start walking when the traffic signal is red, which means that we have faith on those people who are behind the wheels that they would not suddenly start their car and run us over. there is no reason why they should, again there is no guarantee that they won't. right? the fact that we do not go to work everyday armed and armoured from head to toe proves that we take it for granted that...say for example,our colleagues wont stab us in a fit of anger...or bash our heads against the wall or even shoot us. i know this sounds absurd but think about the world we inhabit...you go to a theatre with your family,and there is a blast and 90 people die, or you are going to office and a bus runs you over trying to overtake another, or there is a blast in the metro...yet we keep faith. perhaps mainly because there is no other way to survive,if you lose faith in your fellow human beings you will crack under the strain and probably be diagnosed with schizophrenia, but partly also because we want to. this entrusting of one's life into hands of complete strangers,this keeping of faith i think is the mark of civilization, of a community. there is something very tragically naive in this....human beings still believing in a cause and effect correlation, still looking for a rationale, still believing in an essentially arbitrary, absurd , and irrational universe.

8 Comments:

Blogger La Figlia Che Piange said...

Haha. Now that I know this I will attack you at ALL POSSIBLE OPPURTUNITIES. =D

10:28 AM  
Blogger March Hare said...

don't worry. as long as you're with us, you are in safe hands.

*superior-smile-of-one-who-can-cross-streets*

1:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hmm. like bimbo sez. dont worry, ugi.... by the time Im done with you, youll be a pro.... :)

remmber my quote?
" I only do Johns"?
I will do you too. :) :) :)

2:09 AM  
Blogger cheeni kum said...

Hi there...You've probably not noticed my comment on one of your earlier posts...I stumbled onto your blog while doing a search on Lonesong Street....something I read years ago when it had just got published. I remember it was a slim affair with the stuff on b/w photographs on hand made art paper...very sylishly done. Somewhere along the way I lost my copy....or probably gave it somebody...cant'remember. Since a young person like yourself seems to have read it, I was wondering whether it was still in print and available. Would you know? And keep writing...you write fabulously well

6:24 AM  
Blogger mojo said...

@cheeni kum:my copy was bought 30 years ago by my mother,dunno if its still in print.

6:35 AM  
Blogger cheeni kum said...

Thanks......what a pity. I think I've finally hit a dead end as far as Lonesong Street is concerned. Maybe I need to figure out a way to get to Pritish Nandy. Thanks all the same...Cheerio

9:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ah well. i once saw this movie where this guy was so afraid of getting run over/killed/having an accident, that he shut himself up in a house, he only collected newspaper clippings- dunno what happened in the end. dunno why i'm writing this. byaa..
p.s. i did have a point, can't remember!

7:59 AM  
Blogger mojo said...

@yippee:you never have a point
@march hare:smirk of one jar bus-er rodgulote haat pnouchhoye!!!
@opaline:i will scrath off ur red nailpolish
@thonai:stick to the johns...he is quite a mouthful!(all puns intended!)

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home